Bhindi Jaipuri Masala

This is my spin on the classic North Indian dish, Bhindi Jaipuri which is basically like fritters of okra and is usually enjoyed as an evening snack or a side dish. My version is a delectable mix of spices and vegetables containing slits of crispy okra cooked in a tangy onion and tomato gravy.

So here goes.


To start things off, I prepared the gravy base. I fried off some onions and tomatoes with green chilli, ginger garlic and my garam masala. I then blended the base into a smooth paste and poured it back into the saucepan to reduce and intensify its flavour. Simultaneously I fried some okras coated with gram flour till they had a little bite to them and folded them into the base. Curry is ready.

For most of my curries involving tomatoes and onions, I like to follow certain steps: I add onions first and roast them with turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt till they turn light brown. Then I add tomatoes with the garam masala, dry mango powder and seasoning and cook it off till the oil separates and the raw smell from the tomatoes is gone. This is usually my base for most of my curries. You can always add flavour to the base like cashew paste or coconut milk, beaten curd and so on. Let me know your suggestions in the comments below. 
 
To prepare the okra, I didn't want to add water and as much gram flour as the classic recipe suggests because it makes it into a fritter/pakoda and when I mix this into the curry base, it will become very soggy and unappealing. The quantity of the flour was just enough to give the flavour of the okra a facelift after frying.

Here are some pics to give you'll an idea.




Trust me you can have it just like that. It is that good.
  
As soon as the curry base was ready, I combined it with the okra and garnished it with some ghee and coriander leaves. 

Here is my recipe. Do let me know your thoughts and suggestions in the comments below and share this recipe with your friends. 

Peace.
__________

Ingredients

 For the Okra

- 500g of okra with tops cut off, slit lengthwise and cut in half 
- 3 tbsp gram flour 
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1 tsp garam masala 

 For the curry base

- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped roughly
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 inch of ginger, chopped
- 3 green chillies, broken in half
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garam masala 
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 100 ml of buttermilk
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Juice of 1 lime
- Handful of chopped coriander leaves 

 
How to make Bhindi Jaipuri Masala
  • Start off with the curry base. In a large saucepan, splutter some mustard and cumin seeds in oil with asafoetida over a high heat. 
  • Reduce the flame and throw in the ginger, garlic and green chillies and fry for a minute.
  • Add in the onions, turmeric and chilli powder, season and fry till the onions turn light brown.
  • Add the tomatoes, garam masala, dry mango powder and salt-pepper. Let them cook till the raw smell disappears and oil separates from the sides.
  • Blend the mixture and return to the saucepan over a medium low heat.
  • Add the buttermilk to the gravy and let it simmer till the okra is ready. Be careful not to let it stick to the bottom and burn.
  • Next, coat the okra with gram flour, turmeric and chilli powders, garam masala, salt and asafoetida and mix to combine. 
  • Shallow fry till almost crispy.
  • Combine the gravy and okra.
  • Finish the dish off with a squeeze of lime, ghee and chopped coriander leaves.
  • Have it with fresh, hot parathas or rotis.







Comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *